Passion, Perseverance and Dedication – These are the top three skills Mr. Clarence Khoh of Talent-Merge Pte Ltd believes one should possess to achieve success in the business industry. Furthermore, having good relationships with valuable people such as your clients, colleagues and referrals are integral to creating a sound strategy for marketing your business.
Read on to find out more about Talent-Merge Pte Ltd, how it started, what their culture is and some essential tips for achieving success.
- How did the idea for your business come about?
We have been in executive search for over 5 years and most job portals just require candidates CVs and we have spoken to employers that it will be good to have a 1 minute video resume of candidates before selecting them for an interview.
- What was your key driving force to become an entrepreneur?
I started working at the age of 16 years old and was on the board of directors in a European company managing 70 staff. The opportunity came when the company filed for Chapter 11 and I decided to take the leap of faith and venture into being an entrepreneur and started Talent-Merge in Jan 2016.
- How did you come up with the name for your company?
Talent-Merge is named as we wanted to connect people, which is between employers and candidates.
- Did you raise funding for your venture?
No, I used my savings for the venture.
- How did you build your customer base?
Having been in maritime business since 2004, I reached out to my previous clients and since I have provided excellent service to them, they were more than happy to introduce my company’s service to their HR.
- How do you market your business, and which tactics have been most successful?
I would say based on my past good working relationship with clients, referrals and word of mouth when we are able to find good candidates for our clients.
- What kind of culture exists in your organization, and how did you establish it?
Family oriented, every employee is part of the Talent-Merge family and we celebrate their birthdays and provide gifts for Hari Raya, Christmas and Chinese New Year.
Questions on Personal Level
- How many hours a day do you work on average?
Working in a job that I am passionate about and enjoy does not make me feel that I am putting in over 12 hours a day.
- Can you describe/outline your typical day?
Drop the kids in school, have a cup of Kopi-O Kosong and then into the office by 8:15am.
- How has being an entrepreneur affected your family life?
As an entrepreneur, I manage my time and take pockets of time off for family outings.
- What motivates you?
The drive and passion to assist our clients find suitable candidates and also candidates getting an increment in salary to provide more for their family.
- How do you generate new ideas?
Read, network and talk.
- What is your greatest fear, and how do you manage fear?
When we come up with a new idea, there is always a fear that it will not succeed. When I started Talent-Merge and asked a few friends on executive search, they mentioned that the recruitment space is too crowded so it is difficult to succeed.
- What are your ideals?
Ideals are to make Singapore a better place to live in and assist our candidates to improve their video resumes and interview skills.
- How do you define success?
Success to me is having quality time with family which money cannot buy, the means to be able to sustain current lifestyle, grow and nurture our younger generation to contribute to the society and also philanthropy
- Do you believe there is some sort of pattern or formula to becoming a successful entrepreneur?
Follow Nike Slogan: Just Do It.
- What is your favorite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
Being able to reap the fruits of my labor and each successful candidate placed with my client.
- What has been your most satisfying moment in business?
Able to see business grow, learning through mistakes, (University of Life) and starting our new HR App, VirVit which I believe will change the format for recruitment.
Tips and Advice for Others
- What piece of advice would you give to anyone who wants to become an entrepreneur?
Never try, never know. Everyone has a different story, just take the leap of faith.
- If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
With constant paychecks coming in, it was tough to look at having 0 income for a couple of months. Perhaps take the leap of faith earlier, say 10 years earlier.
- What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?
Passion, Perseverance and Dedication
- What entrepreneurial tricks have you discovered to keep you focused and productive in your day-to-day busy schedule?
Stay focused, while we as adults can drink sky juice and take instant noodles, our kids can’t. Also, looking to build a legacy for the next generation.
- What key activities would you recommend entrepreneurs to invest their time in?
Read and Network. There are tons of information on the internet.
Miscellaneous Questions for Entrepreneurs
- Who has been your greatest inspiration?
I always look at Forbes 50, the top richest in Singapore and ask myself when I can be featured in the top 50.
- What business-related book has inspired you the most? (or, What is your favorite book?)
Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Think and Grow Rich.
- If you had a magic wand, which are the three things you would change in the world?
Micheal Jackson says: Heal the world, make it a better place.
- What is the part of your life experience you would alter if you had the chance to?
We go through peaks and troughs in our life. Life is a journey that we should embrace and experience. No successful entrepreneur had an easy life. Embrace change and most importantly when you fail understand why you failed and learn from the mistake.
- If you were to write a book about yourself, how would you name it?
The Chronicles of Life. When everyone says NO and not possible, say YES 😊
For Mr. Khoh, his courage is what brought him to where he is today. Believing in yourself when everybody else says otherwise is sometimes what we all need to pursue the things we think are scary and impossible.
Wishing Mr. Clarence Khoh all the best for Talent-Merge Pte Ltd.