Some of the best businesses are started out of a hobby, and that’s what has happened for Kenwyn.
Read on to find out more about Louise Candle Pte Ltd, how it started, what their culture is and some essential tips for achieving success.
- How did the idea for your business come about?
It started out as a hobby of making candles as gifts for my family and friends. Based on the positive feedback from them, Louise Candle Pte Ltd was created.
- What was your key driving force to become an entrepreneur?
To make high quality candles affordable to all
- How did you come up with the name for your company?
My mother came up with the name.
- Did you raise funding for your venture?
- How did you build your customer base?
Initially friends, family and then it grew to word of mouth to other networks. I am also actively setting up booth spaces and showcasing my candle works to the public. Now, we are on ecommerce platforms.
- How do you market your business, and which tactics have been most successful?
We market on ecommerce platforms, facebook, etc. The affordable price strategy is the most successful tactic.
- What kind of culture exists in your organization, and how did you establish it?
The work culture is to love making candles. Lots of trials and errors. And ideas and mistakes are always shared to improve each and every candle work.
Questions on Personal Level
- How many hours a day do you work on average?
I work from 10am to 5pm. So about 6 hours.
- Can you describe/outline your typical day?
I am a late riser. My day starts with doing some candles and letting them set for the day. Then I go about replying emails, planning next booths, ordering supplies, thinking about new candle designs.
- How has being an entrepreneur affected your family life?
Only in the positive way. My kids see how passionate I am about my candle work and they assist me with packaging, cleaning up. Since its work from home, I am able to tutor my kids during my working hours.
- What motivates you?
Me. Only you can be your greatest motivator. Look inside, don’t look outside to get motivation.
- How do you generate new ideas?
I look at other candle works, I ask questions to the candle maker and do some research.
- What is your greatest fear, and how do you manage fear?
Complacency, that I will be pleased with my work and not allow myself to innovate or improve. And that is the reason I shy off from my work when people say, “it is beautiful” or “it smells wonderful”, I quickly say thank you and forget about the positive remarks.
- What are your ideals?
Quality, safety, customer satisfaction, creativity and continuous learning.
- How do you define success?
Happiness. Am I happy with what I have produced? Does my buyer love the candle/item? These are my questions when a candle leaves us
- Do you believe there is some sort of pattern or formula to becoming a successful entrepreneur?
No, there isnt.
- What is your favorite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
My own time, my own pace. I am the queen.
- What has been your most satisfying moment in business?
All my candles was sold out during a Christmas booth at Capitol. I cried happy tears.
Tips and Advice for Others
- What piece of advice would you give to anyone who wants to become an entrepreneur?
Nike’s slogan, Just Do It!
- If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
I would have started focusing on product photography and marketing.
- What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?
Patience, ability to take criticisms, leadership
- What entrepreneurial tricks have you discovered to keep you focused and productive in your day-to-day busy schedule?
Prepare to do list with daily, weekly and monthly goals
- What key activities would you recommend entrepreneurs to invest their time in?
Marketing strategies and product innovation.
Miscellaneous Questions for Entrepreneurs
- Who has been your greatest inspiration?
I always look at Forbes 50, the top richest in Singapore and ask myself when I can be featured in the top 50.
- What business-related book has inspired you the most? (or, What is your favorite book?)
I don’t read business-related books. I google search about successful entrepreneurs and what they have done, etc.
- If you had a magic wand, which are the three things you would change in the world?
Poverty, inequality, sexism
- What is the part of your life experience you would alter if you had the chance to?
Absolutely nothing at all. Every aspect of life make you who you are.
- If you were to write a book about yourself, how would you name it?
Kenwyn and Her Legacy
For Kenwyn, it all started with a hobby. And with all the positive feedback, her passion for candle work continued to grow and today it is a full-fledged ecommerce business.
Wishing Kenwyn all the best for Louise Candle Pte Ltd.